Best Intel Motherboard for Gaming of 2019: Complete Reviews with Comparisons
Modern PC gaming opens you to a variety of different types of games to play. However, some of these games require tremendous amounts of energy and performance while they’re running.
If you’re building a gaming PC or planning to upgrade your rig, you may want to read our researched review of the best Intel motherboard for gaming.
With so many choices for motherboards on the market, it can be challenging to find one that’s worth the money. So, we’ve done most of the hard work, researched, and narrowed it to only five.
Best Intel Motherboard for Gaming Reviews
1. MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC
The MPG Z390 series is designed for those who want hardcore games. It has the cooling capacity, performance, and immersive audio, all features you’d want in a PC motherboard. What’s even better is the price: it’s not super expensive and is compatible with multiple 8th and 9th Gen Intel Core Processors.
Here’s an overview of the MSI MPG Z3290 Gaming Edge AC:
- Enhanced cooling system: The MPG features built-in thermal monitoring technology that perfectly adjusts the fan speeds to keep your PC components cool while you’re gaming. This is an essential component if you’re planning on overclocking your computer, as it can keep the temperature down and prevent thermal damage.
- Intel WiFi connectivity: The motherboard is compatible with multiple 8th and 9th Gens. For the 9th Gen systems, the compatibility is i9 9900/9700/9600K, Celeron LGA 1151, or the Pentium Gold. This gives you plenty of variabilities and enables you to stay connected. The speeds for the Intel WiFi use MU-MIMO technology which features AC speeds of 1.73G.
- Immersive audio: A video game isn’t complete without a crystal clear audio system that makes you feel like you’re in the game. The MPG comes with a built-in ALC1220 audio processor which is designed explicitly for headphone users.
- Twin Turbo M.2: Using the Twin Turbo M.2, the system quickly boots up and practically gets rid of waiting times. No longer will you have to sit and wait as the loading screen slowly processes everything. Instead, you’ll be instantly booted up within a few seconds.
- Customizable LED lighting: A gaming PC is nothing without the flashy lights. Using the MSI Mystic Light program, you’ll gain access to over 16.7 million customizable colors and up to 29 light effects. Customize your rig to soft, bold, or mellow colors.
2. Asus ROG Strix Z390-E
If you’re looking for a system that is designed for overclocking, you won’t find a better one than the Asus ROG Strix. The Z390-E features 8th and 9th Generation Intel Core Processor compatibility, making it accessible to multiple PC builds. However, the best feature is the five-way optimization system which includes extra features to protect your PC from thermal damage and over processing.
Here’s what the Asus ROG Strix Z390-E can offer:
- Five-way optimization: When it comes to keeping your PC components cool, it’s essential to have a five-way system. The system can help detect any thermal temperatures and adjust the settings to help keep everything running cool. On top of that, you’ll be able to play your games at max settings without the worry of lag or errors.
- Fan Xpert: There are four different Fan Xperts installed that help regulate your PC’s temperature. Each fan is strategically placed to help keep all components cool. If one area is overheating, the fan will automatically target that area. Also, you’ll be given the option to set up a PWM header which enables you to use water cooling.
- SupremeFX audio: The SupremeFX audio system is designed to give you better sound quality when you’re playing video games, watching shows, or browsing the web. Headphone users will be pleased, as it gives them a more immersive experience.
- RGB LED lights: The RGB lights are perfectly detailed and enable you to customize the settings. Each ROG Strix motherboard includes Asus Aura LED lights, which will allow you to change the color and headers to your favorite colors.
- Protection and safeguards: What sets this motherboard apart from others is the fact that it’s installed with safety features. If you’re continually overclocking your device, it can be strenuous on the system. Using safety blocks and PCIe protection can help minimize the wear and tear and enhance the resistance.
- Pre-mounted I/O: The ROGUE I/O Shield comes pre-installed which is perfect for those who don’t know much about setting up computers.
3. Gigabyte Z370 Aorus
The Gigabyte Z370 Aorus is an 8th Gen Intel Core Processor compatible motherboard that is designed to keep your PC running while you’re playing games. It can be frustrating at times if you’re using a regular motherboard, so you should invest in a gaming motherboard. The Z370 is perfect for regulating performance, cooling your system, and is excellent for those who enjoy overclocking.
Here’s what to expect from Gigabyte Z370 Aorus:
- Immersive audio: When it comes to gaming, it’s important to have a surreal experience and feel like you’re in the game. Having high-quality sound is key to being satisfied with your immersive experience. The ESS Sabre DAC that’s installed works well with speakers or sound systems and improves the audio quality.
- Triple M.2 Support: The Triple M.2 Support helps with detecting overheating and preventing heat buildup. It’s critical to keep your PC at specific temperatures or else it may overload and shut down. To avoid system corruption or damage, this feature can help by keeping everything ventilated when needed.
- Perfect for overclocking: If you love playing games at max settings and graphics, then you’ll love the Turbo B-Clock. This application gives you full control over the system and allows you to adjust the performance and settings to maximize your gameplay.
- RGB LED lights: It never hurts to be able to customize different colors and light combinations. With the RGB Fusion, you’ll have up to 126 different light combinations and be able to change the colors to your preference using a color wheel selection tool.
- Cooling capacity: There are five different Smart Fans installed in the system, each will work to detect overheating and disperse any lingering heat. This helps prevent thermal damage and ensures that your setup will last for years to come. There are precisely nine different heat sensors, which help regulate and detect heating problems before they reach dangerous temperatures.
- Connectivity: For connectivity, the system can connect to DDR4-XMP at 4122 MHz and with USB 3.1 Type-C.
4. MSI Performance Gaming ATX
The MSI Performance Gaming ATX is a budget-friendly motherboard that offers all the basics. If you’re in the market to upgrade, the compatibility is with 8th Generation Intel Core, Pentium, and Celeron Processors. You’ll have full control over your gaming rig with a click of a button. Each setting is controllable through an application or on your mobile device.
Here’s an overview of the MSI Performance Gaming ATX:
- Optimized performance: Each MSI motherboard is designed to enhance your gaming performance and enable you to run games on maxed out graphics. Using a unique optimizable PCB, the performance and design will allow you to use the device without any errors.
- Chemi-con Audio Capacitors: Audio capacitors are designed to provide you with a high definition sound that gives background acoustics and enable you to be immersed when you’re using headphones. Each Chemi-con capacitor adds to the experience and is an excellent addition for those who like to get lost in the soundtracks or voice acting in games.
- VR compatibility: On the other hand, the performance of this motherboard is high enough to withstand VR use. Unlike other motherboards, you won’t get any lag, framerate issues, or errors. The VR headset works seamlessly, and you’ll be able to experience the virtual world to its fullest extent.
- Slots: There are 4 DDR4 memory slots included in the build which provides 64 GB of space. You’ll also have access to two-way and through CrossFireX.
5. Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
The last on our list is the Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero motherboard. It’s 9th generation Intel core processor compatible and features a performance enhancement system which uses a five-way optimization system to help with overclocking. If you’re looking for a powerhouse that’s self-sufficient and has the ability to auto track thermal temperatures and cool your system, then look no further.
Here’s a look at what Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero offers:
- Five-way optimization: A five-way optimization system works to detect any thermal issues within your PC before there are any errors. It will help monitor and adjust the fans to help regulate the temperature. With the Asus ROG, you’ll have full control over tweaking specs and being able to deep dive into the UEFI BIOS to fix any underlying issues.
- OptiMem II: The OptiMem II maps out pathways through the PCB layers and helps reduce issue related to vias and adds protection zones. To help maximize your performance, use the T-Topology layout to help with overclocking, memory configurations, and aligned signaling.
- Overclocking powerhouse: The ROG has an onboard clock generator that helps you set up and monitor the CPU. You’ll be able to view subdomains, MHz, and other controls. If you’re looking to overclock your system fully, the ROG is one of the only full overclocking motherboards.
- Enhanced cooling system: For gamers who max out their graphics, settings, and keep multiple programs open at once, they may need an advanced cooling system. The ROG uses comprehensive controls to help control four Fan Xperts through the UEFI BIOS. Adjust the settings to your liking, but the auto-sensors will still help out.
- SupremeFX Sound System: The sound features an S1220 SupremeFX system that helps engineer detailed sounds. If you want to truly experience sounds that are crystal clear, then don’t skip out on trying this system.
We really can’t pick the best Intel motherboard for gaming because each system is compatible with specific processors and parts. However, we’d say that any of the ones on this list are amazing for their price range. Each delivers high-quality performance, thermal reduction, and enhanced audio.
On top of that, many of the systems contain multiple outlets, various compatibilities, and options to connect and customize parts. If we had to give you advice, it would have to be to choose a motherboard based on what you currently have or plan a gaming rig ahead of time. If you’ve found this helpful, then we wish you the best of luck with updating your PC.